Also known as the North East Linux User Group
What is a firewall?
- A firewall is a controlled gateway between one network and another (i.e. an intranet and the internet).
- It is not a universal panacea for computer security. You must follow other good security practices.
- You cannot trust everyone. Some people take pleasure in hacking into machines. Not all are malicious but some are!
- Your computer holds private/confidential data an you have a duty to protect it.
- You want to limit access from within your private network to specific external information/services (i.e. not mpeg3′s)
- You want to monitor/record traffic for audit/security purposes. Beware of privacy laws!